Are you unhappy with the way your smile looks because of excess gum tissue? A “gummy smile” is a condition that can easily be adjusted with cosmetic gum surgery in Durham, NC with Dr. Michael Richter.
What Esthetic Gum Surgery Does
- Reduces the size of the gum line
- Exposes more tooth surface (no more gummy smile)
- Creates a wider, more beautiful smile
- Helps prevent gum disease
Fixing a Gummy Smile with Esthetic Gum Surgery
Many patients come to Dr. Richter concerned with how their gums impact the look of their smile. Often termed a “gummy smile,” teeth that have a more than average amount of gum tissue around them can make the teeth look considerably smaller than they actually are. If your teeth are hiding behind excess gum tissue, esthetic crown lengthening is one way to fix it. In most cases, this type of surgery – also referred to as a gum lift – is usually performed on the entire gum line, although sometimes the surgery is only needed in select areas. After the soft tissue is trimmed and more of the underlying tooth surface is revealed, patients report greater satisfaction and improved confidence knowing that their “gummy smile” has been transformed into a wider, more attractive smile.
Esthetic gum surgery also has an added health benefit. Less tissue means there is also less opportunity for bacteria to burrow between the teeth and gums and form periodontal pockets. Reducing periodontal pocket depths helps protect your teeth and gums from gum disease, which destroys healthy gum tissue and jaw bone.
The Esthetic Crown Lengthening Procedure in Four Steps
- A local anesthetic is applied to the gums.
- Incisions are made along the gum line and the excess tissue is trimmed and reshaped; if necessary, a bit of bone may be removed.
- The incisions are sterilized, sutured, and bandaged.
- Dr. Richter will examine the new gum line in one to two weeks to monitor healing.
You can fix your “gummy smile” too with cosmetic gum surgery in Durham, NC from Dr. Richter. Call now for your consultation.