Laser gum disease treatment in Durham, NC with Dr. Michael Richter is today's contemporary, minimally invasive alternative for treating patients with moderate to severe gum disease. The LANAP® laser protocol is comfortable, safe, remarkably effective, and provides long term benefits.
LANAP® Treatment: Six steps to healthier gums and teeth
- Measure periodontal pockets
- Remove bacteria and diseased tissue with laser
- Remove tartar deposits
- Create natural barriers around teeth
- Compress gum tissue – no sutures!
- Adjust bite
Periodontal Disease Treatment with a Laser Dentist
Gum disease treatment with laser dentist Dr. Richter is an effective procedure that is minimally painful compared with traditional surgery. Most patients are able to return to normal activity in 24 hours or less without any prescription medication at all. This is how it is done:
- The first thing your laser dentist will do is use a special instrument to determine how deep your periodontal pockets are and how much damage bacteria have caused.
- Next, Dr. Richter will use the laser to target and remove bacteria and diseased tissue. No scalpels or cutting instruments are used, just laser energy, which means healthy tissue, bone, and tooth roots remain intact and unharmed.
- After the bacteria are removed, your laser dentist may use the laser to break up or denature the tartar (calculus) that is located on the root surfaces. After that, an ultrasonic scaler is applied to affected areas to clear it away.
- To protect your newly cleaned gums and teeth and keep new bacteria out, Dr. Richter uses the laser once again to create mini blood clots in those areas. These serve as natural, protective seals so your gums can heal undisturbed.
- Laser dentists also avoid using stitches to reattach soft tissue to the tooth roots. Instead, Dr. Richter uses a compression technique that encourages a natural reattachment.
- The final step is to adjust your bite and ensure no trauma or problems occurred during the surgery, which is particularly important for patients who may be more vulnerable because of excessive bone loss.
Gum disease treatment in Durham, NC with laser periodontist Dr. Richter is changing the way more patients today are achieving healthier teeth and gums. Call us today for your laser treatment consultation.