Taking steps towards preventing gum recession in Raleigh, NC is well worth the effort. Regular periodontal checkups and getting treatments with Dr. Michael Richter when necessary, along with a good home oral care plan, can go a long way in keeping your smile attractive and healthy.
How to Prevent Gum Recession
- Make oral hygiene a top priority every day.
- Treat periodontal disease, decay, damaged teeth, and other problems promptly.
- Get examined for signs of tooth grinding and jaw clenching.
- Avoid or remove oral piercings.
- Avoid use of tobacco products.
Prevent Gum Recession with These Important Steps
Dr. Richter treats gum recession using the latest periodontal technology and the safest, most minimally invasive techniques available today. But gum recession can often be avoided by following a good oral hygiene plan, adopting a healthier lifestyle, and getting the proper treatment when needed.
- Oral hygiene
- If it sounds too simple, it is! Brushing and flossing the correct way every day is the single easiest and most effective way to prevent dental problems than can lead to gum recession. Choose toothbrushes with soft bristles and always use a gentle brushing motion. Brushing too aggressively can cause gum tissue to recede and expose tooth roots. Regular checkups and professional cleanings are also an important part of a good oral hygiene plan.
- Treat dental problems early
- Delaying treatment for dental problems, especially gum disease, will greatly increase your risk of developing gum recession. The bacteria that cause gum disease also destroy gum tissue, causing recession that often worsens without treatment. Dr. Richter stops gum disease with laser therapy, a gentler, modern method of removing bacteria without harming gum tissue. Fixing damaged teeth, misalignment, and other problems early – all of which can be taxing on the gum line – will also help you to prevent recession. Damaged teeth are a challenge to keep clean, despite efforts to maintain good oral hygiene at home.
- Tooth grinding and jaw clenching
- Gum recession is sometimes caused by chronic tooth grinding or jaw clenching. These behaviors often occur during one's sleep, so it can be hard to determine if they are causing the problem. Dr. Richter can examine your teeth and gums and if needed, provide a treatment to protect your oral structures from further damage.
- Avoid or remove oral piercings
- Piercing your lips, tongue, and other areas inside the mouth can be harmful when jewelry makes constant contact with the gum line.
- Avoid tobacco products
- Tobacco harms your health and that includes the gums. If you smoke or chew tobacco products, find help in quitting. Tobacco generates plaque, makes it harder to maintain good oral hygiene, and increases the risk of developing periodontal disease and therefore recession.
These are important things you can do to help prevent gum recession in Raleigh, NC. If you do have dental concerns or are experiencing signs of gum recession, do not delay. Call us today and schedule an appointment with Dr. Richter.